Saturday, June 11, 2011

Benjy is Getting Bigger



At Benjy's last appt, he was weighed and measured.  According to doctors, they want a baby to double their birth weight by the fourth month.  At birth Benjy was 8 lbs 1/2 oz.  At 9 weeks, he is 15lbs 4.5oz.  He has not quite doubled his birth weight yet, but he is getting very close to it.  He is an avid nurser and during the day is nursing every 1-2 hrs.  I think he likes snuggling with me too.


His height also changed.  At birth he was 19 3/4 inches.  At 9 weeks, he is 25.5 inches.  I can't believe how much he is growing.  


In clothing he is in mostly 6 month clothing with some 3 month stuff still fitting.  I find that clothing manufacturers are all over the place with the sizing on the clothing.  When things list weight, it is easier to figure out, but when they do not, it is really hit and miss. 


Benjy also did something new today.  He was away from me for more than an hour.  My MIL took him from 10-1:45.  I really needed to put away some laundry and do some tidying up around the house.  So she took him for a walk and then to her parent's house so he could see his great grandparents.  


The best part of him being away is when I picked him up from his stroller he sighed and snuggled me.  He doesn't mind being away, but he sure is a momma's boy.


While he was away, he even took a bottle of breast milk.  Apparently he fussed a bit, but did take it.  This is a good thing.  I love nursing him and want to do it as long as possible, but I also want to be able to go swimming in the evenings. I lost 15lbs swimming before I got preggo and would like to loose some weight again.  If he takes a bottle that means the Chief can feed him his last feeding before bed.


Speaking of sleeping, Benjy sleeps pretty well at night.  He has a bath around 8ish.  He will then nurse and then fall asleep by 9:30.  He will usually sleep till about 2 and then nurse and wake up around 4-5ish and nurse, and then 6-7ish and nurse.  So I get some interrupted sleep which is great.  During the day he takes little cat naps.  He sleeps for about 15-30 minutes after he eats.  In the afternoon, I take him for a walk and he usually sleeps for about an hour in his stroller.  He loves going in his stroller and lets me know his dissatisfaction if I stop.


The other new thing that Benjy is doing is "speaking".  Not words yet, but he loves to squeal and "say" lots of things especially when he is in his crib and his mobile is running.  We will put him down in there and turn on the mobile while we wash our hands or prepare dinner and as long as the mobile is on he is in their squealing in delight.  It is so cute.


I will leave you with some pictures of the little guy


No comments: