Friday, August 5, 2011

Car Seat Cover Tutorial

I like seeing all the extras that are out there for babies.  Often times I like them, but honestly don't have the money to purchase them.  Being on mat leave is a blessing as I get to stay home with my son, but doesn't leave much extra money to go around.

The car seat cover is very basic.  Often when I make something, I will copy it off the original, but I didn't have one to copy so I used my handy dandy tape measure and measured my car seat.  The final number was 42 inches long by 30 inches.  This was the dimensions of my Graco Snugride carseat.  I imagine it will work for most others, but it doesn't hurt to measure it.

The car seat covers I have seen online often have flannel or satin backing.  I didn't want it to be too heavy so instead I used cotton knit.

So what do yo need to make this

Basic sewing skills
1 yard of cotton
1 yard of cotton knit ( or flannel if you prefer)
thread
Hook and Loop

The fabric I was working with had  a width of 44 inches, so I just measured the length (30 inches).  I cut one cotton and one cotton knit at that size and sewed the right sides together.

I got most of the way around before I left a small gap so I could turn them right side out.  I then went around and sewed an additional hem around the outside.



The next step was making the handles to attach it to the car seat.  The first ones I made were far too long.  Cut a 2 inch by 16 inch strip of fabric. Then double it so it is 8 inches.  Sew the right sides together and then flip.  At the 4 inch mark, cut it in half.  Now sew the ends closed and stich all the way around.

See they are very long

I need to short these on mine.
At hook and loop at the ends so that it is easy to remove the car seat cover.



The next step is a little tricky, but at  4 inches in pin the first strap, then 3 inches and pin the second strap.
I suggest pinning the straps on and if possible trying it out on your car seat to make sure that it works well for you.  If it does, sew on the straps.  As easy as that you are done and have a car seat cover that cost a fraction of what it costs to buy one.  I think this sewing project took me about an hour to complete.






No comments: