Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mat Leave is around the corner

So my due date is 4.5 weeks away.  Mat leave is 2 weeks away.

Here is my latest belly pic.

35 weeks 2 days

The baby's room is totally done.  The clothes are cleaned.  We bought a diaper genie. I was just planning on using the diaper pail I bought, but my husband decided a diaper genie was a good idea.


It wasn't the easiest thing to put together, but here it is.  ( The nursery is looking awfully crowded right now)


The only thing I have left to do is sewing.

I have made (and still have some to sew up) some burp cloths using receiving blankets and towels.  I bought some colourful receiving blankets and cut them in half.  I also bought some towels on sale- two bath towels for $6.98.  I cut the towels in half and then in half again.  I sewed the two right sides together on three sides.  I then flipped them over and sewed the other end.  I wanted something that would be pretty, but still absorbent.
So out of 1 towel, I got 4 pieces of terry cloth.  I used 3 receiving blankets, and some of that duck fabric you see later on in this post.




 I already made some homemade nursing pads using two layers of flannel and one layer of fleece.  They work quite well and stay in place better than the commercial ones a friend bought me.

Here is how I made them.

Step 1: I folded a piece of flannel in half.  I happened to find this piece at a second hand store and I washed it up.  I traced circles on it that were 4.5 inches wide.
I traced the circles using this trusty flower pot and a pen.  Not the best way, but I didn't have a fabric pen.


Here is the pile of circles after I cut them out.  You will need two flannel circles and 1 fleece circle for each nursing pad.  I also cut out circles from fleece.  The flannel is absorbent  and the fleece is water proof.   The fleece I used was from a blanket at the dollar store.

Here is the final product.  I sewed together the two flannel pieces with a fleece piece and trimmed the excess off.  I used polyester thread as it helps to make sure that no liquid is carried via thread to the clothing I am wearing.  I find that these stay in place better than the commercial ones someone bought for me.

I also got my my ring sling and my udder cover in the mail this week.

Here is the ring sling.  It is cute comfy to wear.  Just needs to be washed and ironed as it is very wrinkly.

Here is the ring sling in action.  My cat was a good test subject. Don't mind my tank top... it can't cover my belly any more.


Here is the udder cover.  It seems pretty nice.  I will have to see how it works with the baby.


Another thing I want to share is what a friend of mine gave me today.

A Winnie the Pooh Quilt
It will look quite nice in the baby's crib.  The colours of it are awesome.  It is a cheater quilt, but still pretty cool.


My final news is that I am going to be an Aunt again.  My sister is expecting baby number 5

This is her bump at only 8 weeks.  They are checking for twins at her next ultrasound.



2 comments:

The2sams said...

So exciting!!! Yall look great!

kayee said...

2 weeks - how exciting! And you are so crafty!!!