Friday, May 7, 2010

Some things are never quite as simple

I felt fine on Wednesday the day after my test, but Wednesday night I started to get cold. I put on my sweatshirt nightgown and slept with all the blankets on top of me. It is a little weird for me considering I sleep next to nothing in the middle of winter with just one blanket. I was still pretty chilly and really achy Thursday morning and had a low grade fever, but I dragged myself to work. I was cold all day and felt pretty yucky. I chalked it up to stress from my boss at work.

By the end of the day I was absolutely freezing despite wearing a sweater and my teeth were chattering. I took my temp again ( I brought the thermometre to work) and it was higher and was a fever. I then told my husband that we were going to the hospital. It comes in handy when you work at the same place.

I got to the hospital and while my blood pressure was normal, my pulse rate was at 140. The nurse didn't detect a fever right away, but it is cold outside and we walked the 5 minutes to the hospital. I got hooked up to a monitor to monitor my pulse and got a EKG. It was determined my pulse was high from my fever. She took my temp again and my fever was evident. This whole time I was still freezing though so she got me a warmed sheet. It was nice.

So the doctor finally came in and I got a pelvic exam ( the full thing) and lots of blood drawn. End result, the pelvic exam looked fine, but my white blood cell count was elevated.

I had an IV put in, but the first one popped and really hurt. I got 2 combined IV antibiotics at 6. Then got to go home and come back at midnight to get more ( which was hard to get up to do, but I did it). Thankfully I had the IV latch left in so I didn't have to get a new one each time. I got to watch the Daily Show at the actual time it played. Then I got to come back at 8 for another dose.

I was also given 2 antibiotics to take over a week. I still feel pretty chilly and tired, but my pulse seems to have normalized and I don't feel as bad as I did. I have a follow up appointment Monday. So I have an extra long weekend. Not really the way I would want to spend one, but my health is important.

No comments: