Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cloth Wipes

Since we have started cloth diapering, I have seen the amount of garbage that we throw out go down by quite a lot.  It doesn't make sense to keep using disposable wipes.  So cloth wipes it is.  The original ones that I made were flannel, but even cutting them with pinking shears, they were still shredding when washed. I also cut some fleece ones too.
I finally had the bright idea to move my sewing machine upstairs so I had a chance to sew some stuff while Benjy naps.  So I was able to sew cloth wipes.  I sewed them inside out on three sides and then flipped them the other way around.  I then sewed another hem around the edge.  Doing this ensures that when they are washed, they retain their shape and do not get twisted.
Last night after Benjy had come to bed, I sewed up 18 of them. It didn't take me too long as I used some burp cloths I had made and cut them up.

The blue ones are all flannel on both sides

The middle one is a wash cloth with a reddish flannel backing

Most of my wipes are 4 inches by 4 inches.  Not too big, but good for having a boy

A bigger wipe for bigger messes

This one has a fleece backing
For my wipes, I am storing them dry.  I have a bottle of solution which is water with some baby wash and baby oil which I spray on the wipes as I use them.

No comments: